Sunday, October 2, 2011

#4: Evaluating intercultural behavior

To be honest, I did not have much experience in intercultural communication until I came to Singapore. In Singapore, I made a lot of friends from different parts of the world but most of the cases I did not feel any inconvenience caused by different cultural background due to the limited time I spent with them. However, I experienced a great culture difference when going out with one of my roommate who has a different cultural background with me.

The story happened on a Sunday about a month ago. I, my roommate and my friends decided to go out to have a big dinner since all of us were fed up with the canteen. At the beginning, we planned to go to Clementi to have a buffet. When we got there, the restaurant was full and around thirty people were waiting outside the restaurant. Obviously we needed to change our plan. My friends and I decided to eat somewhere near so we can get back early because it was already 6:45 pm and all of us had early class tomorrow. My roommate suggested going to east coast to have BBQ buffet, which means we needed to spend one more hour. We are not willing to go since it was too far away but he insisted and spared no effort to persuade us. Finally one of my friends had no choice but to go back since he had a meeting at 9 pm and the rest of us went to east coast. Worried about my left friend and time, I did not enjoy the meal.

In my point of view, the meaning of eating out is to have fun with friends and the most important is to meet everyone’s demand. Since we had one person who needed to be back before 9 pm, we should choose a place not far away from school. However, my roommate felt that we had planned to have a buffet so we must have it. 

6 comments:

  1. Michael, I couldn’t catch the point. What is the cultural difference that you are talking about?
    Your friends and yourself wanting to rest early but not the roommate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could it just be that your roommate was very particular about his food and that his cultural difference was not involved?

    I have a friend who is culturally the same as the rest of us, but he is still extremely particular about his food. On one instance, he walked off to a nearby restaurant because he didn't like the food where all of us were eating!

    I agree with your point of view, but I am not clear about the cultural significance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Michael, I think what Arij, Klara and I would like to ask is that what cultural principles or values does your friend have that cause him to behave in such a manner?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Michael, i believe you saw that there was a difference in the "going out for dinner outings" culture is that right? I believe what Michael was trying to highlight was that in his culture, going for dinner outings meant that what is most important is the company and companionship.

    Whereas for that one friend who was totally bent on a buffet, a meal was a meal, and that since they decided on what to eat, they should stick to it till the very end (ie Food>Fellowship). Michael,you need to sneak into his room and see if he has wires connected to him while he sleeps, he may be a robot :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an interesting anecdote, Michael. It's fairly clear and concise. But I wonder how we can be sure it is cultural and not interpersonal.

    Here are a few language issues:

    - so we can get back early >>>> so we could get back early

    - early class tomorrow >>> early class the next day

    - We are not willing >>> ?

    _ should choose a place >>> ?

    Thanks for your effort.

    ReplyDelete