Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Reflection on Oral Presentation

Finally finished everything and it is time for reflection on the oral presentation. We spent a tough time preparing for the presentation. Personally speaking, our presentation met my expectation. All the slides looked neat and nice, the video and audio worked properly, the visuals were relevant to our content and enhance the impression left on the audience (as far as I have concerned).

To be honest, I did not even prepare anything for the mock presentation because I remembered the date wrongly. The coming quiz of other modules also drove my attention away from preparing the presentation. As a result, I did really badly in the mock presentation. What I said at that time was all that I could recall from memory. The mock presentation motivated me to work hard to prepare and I spent the whole weekend before the presentation to practice.

Generally speaking, I am satisfied with my performance. The most important is confidence. This made me to have eye contact with everyone. I got a full control of my pace. It slowed down to a proper speed for me (may be too slow for others).

I was stuck for a moment nearly to the end of my presentation. To break the embarrassment, I had to repeat the sentence that I had just said. I think that is where Brad thought I was reading from memory. The truth is, at that part when talking about the teachers, I got totally lost from what I have prepared and I had to improvise. Getting a little bit nervous at that time, I had a blank mind and did not know what to say. I got back to my pace after several sentences.

At the end of the reflection, I would like to thanks my teammates for their work. Thanks Eric for the video, thanks Arij for the slides and thanks Noelle for all the ideas. It is really an enjoyable experience to work with you.

4 comments:

  1. Michael, after listening to you speak for a few times, I've come to appreciate the calmness in your voice. I've always thought that you have a very steady pace. It's true that your 'calmness' could be reflected as being monotonous but I felt that you made an effort today to stress on a few words. That created variation to your intonation. However, I would like to bring your attention to the chart you showed concerning the places students go to when they need a place to hold discussions. The chart had no title although it was nicely presented. I think a chart with title will leave a greater and longer impact on the audience. Nevertheless, I felt that you've done really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,

    Like the statistics Ning mentioned; I thought that if you want to make a bigger impact, you should add up the values of those (proportion of students) who leaked out to other faculties and give just ONE number (your team mentioned that it’s because of the way the data was collected, that it was not a one option question – so I guess you need to twist the way you present it).

    The slide that showed Brad moving the tables, I am not quite sure if that is the best picture to show discussion friendly rooms/classes.

    I thought that you were good, in terms of vocal and bringing across your message. But I guess what you need more is to be more assertive.
    Nonetheless, your performance is definitely better and had improved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michael,

    I think you have improved a lot comparing to the mock OP.The content of your part was well organized and clear.And you remembered to emphasised on some key words. Good job!

    I agreed with Klara that you may add up those values showing the percentage that students go out of engineering faculty to discuss,which would be more impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mr Fang,

    Your group had very different styles (of presenting), and I appreciate the diverseness of expression this had on the overall appeal of your group. It would be quite boring if you all sang the same song and I believe this worked in your favour.

    You stood out because (as others have mentioned) you were calm in contrast to Eric's earnestness.
    This is not to say that any one style was better (or worse) it just means that we should learn how to be comfortable in our own zone, our grace zone as it were.

    I believe you excelled in this regard.

    ReplyDelete